Quality Crowns in Sacramento to Restore Your Smile
When your teeth need care, the right treatment can help you rebuild your smile like new. Crowns are a great option for fixing and protecting teeth. At the office of Raymond R. Benitez, DDS, we offer custom crowns to revive your teeth and preserve your dental health. We use quality materials and accurate design to deliver a good fit within your bite.
If a damaged tooth is causing you pain or you need help with a damaged crown, we are ready to help relieve your pain and renew your smile. Call us today and make an appointment.
CALL US: (916) 452-3587 REQUEST APPOINTMENT
What is a Crown?
A dental crown, also referred to as a cap, is a popular option to restore a severely damaged tooth. It encases the entire tooth to strengthen its structure and restore its function as well as aesthetics. Crowns can be made from different materials. Porcelain is the most popular due to its high durability and lifelike look. It resembles your natural teeth in both shape and color.
7 Reasons You Might Need a Crown
Crowns are highly versatile. They not only restore decayed teeth, but also enhance their appearance. They are used to address various dental issues:
- Protect a weak tooth: For teeth that are cracked or decayed, a crown will protect its structure from further damage.
- Support a tooth: Crowns may also replace missing parts of the tooth and strengthen a large filling.
- Renew a tooth: For a missing tooth, a crown coupled with an implant can replace it.
- Dental bridge support: Crowns hold a dental bridge in place by sitting on top of adjacent teeth on each side.
- Cosmetic enhancement: Crowns create a whiter, more beautiful smile by transforming misshapen and severely stained teeth.
- Restore a tooth: If you have a broken tooth, a crown replaces the damage with a healthier-looking tooth that fits your bite and blends into your smile.
- Baby teeth: A crown may be useful for children too. It can save a decaying tooth, protect it from further damage, and prevent teeth from shifting. This helps to set the proper foundation for emerging adult teeth.
What is the Procedure for Getting a Crown?
The process of getting a crown usually requires two visits. During the first consultation, Dr. Benitez will examine your mouth and have the necessary x-rays taken for an accurate diagnosis. If you qualify for a crown, highly accurate molds will be taken to create your custom crown. We will provide you with a temporary crown to protect your tooth until your permanent crown is ready.
At your second and final appointment, we will ensure proper bite and spacing. Then cemented your new crown accordingly.
Types of Dental Crowns
Dr. Benitez will help you select the suitable material for your crown, considering the following factors:
- Your personal preference
- The location of the damaged tooth
- The function of the tooth
- How much of your natural tooth remains
- Color of the surrounding teeth
Here are the types of crowns you might consider:
Stainless Steel – They are primarily used on baby teeth and are usually temporary for adults. They are cost-effective and help to prevent further decay.
Metals - These crowns include alloys with a high content of gold, platinum, cobalt-chromium, and nickel-chromium. They are long-lasting and rarely chip or break. Their color is metallic.
Porcelain - Used for front and back teeth, these crowns are permanent and durable, especially for people with metal allergies. They offer the best color match and most natural look.
Resin - Molded to fit directly onto your gum line, these crowns provide a quick-fix option. They are the least expensive, but are also more prone to fractures and wear down over time.
Caring for Dental Crowns
For your crown to last longer, it needs proper care. Practice good oral hygiene, which involves flossing and brushing your teeth twice a day and regularly visiting your dentist. We also advise you not to use your teeth as a tool for opening packages and to wear a mouthguard when involved in vigorous sports.
If you have multiple crowns in a row, be sure to pay attention to the area between the crowns when brushing your teeth.
Your Place for Quality Dental Services in Sacramento
At the practice of Raymond R. Benitez, DDS, we pride ourselves on providing the Sacramento community with quality restorative services. Our team feels privileged to craft you a healthy smile you can enjoy. Dr. Benitez has a gentle chairside manner, and our compassionate team strives to create a relaxing environment for every patient.
If you need a tooth repaired or enhanced, you can rely on us to provide you the honest recommendations and quality services you need. Get in touch with us today.
CALL US: (916) 452-3587 REQUEST APPOINTMENT